Originally part of the Chicago Province, the Detroit Province was established in 1955, creating two independent Provinces: Chicago and Detroit. The Detroit Province encompassed the entirety of Michigan, the majority of Ohio, and maintained the northern half of the Patna Mission in India. The Chicago and Detroit Provinces were reunited in January 2011, as the Chicago-Detroit Province.
The Detroit Province Archive was transferred to Saint Louis, Missouri, in 1997 to be part of the newly formed Midwest Jesuit Archives, which brought together the collections of the Chicago, Detroit, Missouri, and Wisconsin Provinces. The Midwest Jesuit Archives was later renamed the Jesuit Archives: Central United States. The collections within the Jesuit Archives: Central United States, including the Detroit Province Archive, were relocated to their current home at the Jesuit Archives & Research Center in November 2017.
The Detroit Province Archive is arranged in three record groups:
RG 1: Government of the Province
RG 2: Personnel in the Province
RG 3: Location of Ministries in the Province