Collection number: MIS.3.001
Repository code: MoSlJA
Repository: Jesuit Archives & Research Center
Title: Belize Mission collection
Date [bulk]: 1895-2005
Date [inclusive]: 1847-2011
Extent: 35 linear feet (33 boxes)
Creator: Jesuits. Missouri Province
Language of material: English and Latin with some Spanish, Garifuna, and Q’eqchi.
Abstract: The Belize Mission was officially established by the Society of Jesus in 1851 by Father Eustace Du Peyron, S.J., in response to requests for priests made by the nation’s new Catholic population. The mission was originally under the administration of the Society’s Province of England, and was transferred to the Missouri Province of the Midwestern United States in 1894. The Belize Mission collection documents the ministry of the Jesuits of the Missouri Province in the former colony of British Honduras and current day nation of Belize from 1895 to 2011. Included in this collection are the administrative records of the mission region, publications, as well as photographs and prints.
Conditions governing access: This collection is open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction and use: The archival records in the Jesuit Archives & Research Center are the property of the Central and Southern, Midwest, Northeast, and West Provinces of the Society of Jesus, and the Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States. Copies may not be duplicated or deposited elsewhere without the prior written consent of the archivist. Supplying a copy is not an authorization to publish or circulate. Written permission to publish any records in their entirety or a substantial portion thereof must be requested and approved prior to publication. The researcher has the sole legal responsibility for obtaining this written permission.